Ocean Science Centre Mindelo
Status: May 15th, 2017
The establishment of the Ocean Science Centre Mindelo (OSCM) in direct neighborhood to the INDP is a bilateral initiative of the cooperation partners INDP and GEOMAR.
The OSCM will serve as a platform for marine and atmospheric research in the Northeast tropical Atlantic, and support the CVOO time series station and field campaigns in the region. The centre will be available to the international atmospheric and oceanographic research community and also offer teaching and training possibilities for West Africa.
The OSCM will feature
- two universal laboratories, one wet lab
- workshops for maintenance and repair of oceanographic equipment
- a main hall with a gantry crane for installation of lab containers and maintenance of large-scale scientific equipment
- storage space (incl. fridges and freezers and gas storage)
- conference rooms
- offices for guest scientists
- technical and social facilities
The OSCM will have
- a total area of 1,768 m²
- an effective area of 1,714 m²
- a gross volume of 7,072 m3
The inauguration of the Ocean Science Centre Mindelo will take place on 14 November 2017.
We welcome you to stay tuned for any new developments.
If you would like to take a closer look, please find the following links: