Ocean Science Center Mindelo
Status: March 6th, 2014
The establishment of the Ocean Science Center Mindelo (OSCM) in direct neighborhood to the INDP is a bilateral initiative of the cooperation partners INDP and GEOMAR.
It will serve as a platform for marine and atmospheric research in the Northeast tropical Atlantic, and support the CVOO time series station and field campaigns in the region. The centre shall be available to the international atmospheric and oceanographic community and also offer teaching and training possibilities for West Africa.
The OSCM will feature
- chemical and biological laboratories
- workshops for maintenance and repair of oceanographic equipment
- a main hall with a gantry crane for installation of lab containers and maintenance of large-scale scientific equipment
- storage space (incl. fridges and freezers and gas storage)
- conference rooms
- offices for guest scientists
- technical and social facilities
The OSCM will have
- a total area of 1,768 m²
- an effective area of 1,714 m² •
- a gross volume of 7,072 m3
The start of construction is expected for the end of November, followed by an 15-months construction phase and completion of the building by the end of 2015. The foundation stone ceremony will presumably take place in May 2015.
We welcome you to stay tuned for any new developments during the construction phase.
If you would like to take a close look, please find the following links: